Important Things to Review:
- Explanation of Law
- Current Law Interpretations from State Superintendent
- Sample Notice of Intent
Instructions for Submitting You Notice of Intent:
- Hand-deliver or mail NOI to your county Board of Education, Superintendent.
- If you mail your NOI, send it certified, with return receipt.
- If you hand-deliver your NOI, take an extra copy to have stamped “Received” and dated for your files.
- You have the right to request use of available county textbooks in your NOI.
- If the Board of Education has already received a copy of your diploma/GED, you may simply state that it is on file.
- You must file a one-time NOI prior to removing your children from public school.
- If you are removing your child from school, you no longer are required to wait 14 calendar days before removing him/her from school.
- You may or may not receive an acknowledgment letter from your county Board of Education. It is not required that they send one, nor do you need to receive any acknowledgment or approval from the Board of Education in order to begin homeschooling.
- You must turn in an assessment or portfolio evaluation by June 30th of each school year in grades three, five, eight and eleven.
- If an assessment is administered it must have been normed no more than 10 years from the date of administration.
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Language Arts – may refer to grammar, spelling, handwriting, and creative writing.
- Reading – may refer to literature and reading comprehension.